There is an urgent need to create mechanisms to empower widows in Yavatmal and Vidarbha, and give them the support they need to pick up the pieces of their lives and move forward. However, such initiatives are rare. One of the few such projects for the welfare of the helpless women is run by Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR) and its sister organization Sampada Trust.
Overview of WOTR's works (30th Sept 2017)
- Operating in 7 States (Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Orissa)
- Rural Developmental work in 2,682 villages impacting over 2.3 million people, of which:
WOTR has been directly involved in 892 villages impacting over 1 million people
WOTR has supported partner agencies working in 1,790 villages impacting over 1.3 million people.
- Watershed Development/Natural Resource Management in 1,543 villages involving a total geographical area of 917,603 ha ( 9,176.03 sq.kms)) covered; over 1.43 million people impacted, of which:
WOTR has been directly involved in 703 villages covering an area of 489,511 ha.(4,895.11 sq.kms.) impacting 856,394 people:
· Watershed development in 479 villages
· Through MGNREGA in 224 villages
WOTR has supported partner agencies working in 840 villages, covering an area of 428,092 ha. (4,280.92 sq km) impacting 571,971 people
- Climate Change Adaptation: interventions in 114 villages impacting 105,006 people covering an area of 64,022 ha (included above)
- Establishment of Farmer Producer Companies (FPC): 16 FPCs (Maharashtra, Telangana and Jharkhand) have been formed to assist 3,364 farmer members from 123 villages to reduce the production cost and to support them in market linkages
- Drinking Water Provisioning (Schemes) in 157 villages / hamlets benefitting over 59,500 people
- Women Self Help Groups (SHGs): A total of 7,568 SHGs promoted involving 97,012 women, of which :
WOTR has been directly involved in building up 3,550 SHGs impacting 43,614 women
WOTR has provided support to 4,018 partner-supported SHGs impacting 53,398 women.
- Training, Capacity Building: 309,043 + people from 27 states of India and 63 countries have participated in Trainings and Exposures programs organized by WOTR.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Documentation Support: for 610 villages (112 projects) from 3 districts impacting over 625,000 people covering 481,591 ha. (4815.91 sq.km) under the IWMP and RIDF Projects in Maharashtra.
- Alternate Energy Electrified 4,010 households with Solar Home Light System, 53,456 students with portable study solar lamps and 226 Solar Street Light System in 72 villages; installed Agni Biomass stove in 3,563 households, Biogas Plants in 786 benefitting 896 households, Hot Water Chulha/ Smokeless Chulha in 4,150 households and 36 large Parabolic Solar Cookers for mid-day meals in schools, 57 Treadle Pumps and 11 Solar Pumping Systems (3 hp and 5 hp) in 6 villages.
- Health and Nutrition: 139 villages impacting over 76,233 households. Child Growth Monitoring and Nutrition Promotion ( 0-5 years) to combat malnutrition are undertaken in all WOTR villages. 13 booklets & 10 posters on various health issues have been published.
- The School for Sustainable Living and Livelihoods, a WOTR initiative, has trained 107 rural youth as Rural Resource Persons for Climate Change Adaptation and Local Development Promoters.
- Community Based Agro-Advisory: 103 Agro-met stations installed in 3 states, advisories are being sent via SMS benefitting 18,111 farmers from 303 villages.
- Knowledge Management : Applied Research- 104 research papers / impact studies and Socio-economic Baseline Studies of several Watershed Villages.
- Communication and Documentation : 12 Watershed Voices, 11 flipcharts, 10 posters, 68 books/ booklets, 15 case studies over 160 editions of “PanlotParivar” and 47 editions of “Vikaspedia Newsletter, over 32 editions of “WOTR Newsletter” a quarterly English newsletter, 27 blog posts in the WOTR blog have been published. 129 videos/Audio visuals in English, Marathi, Hindi and Telugu have been made.
- Tools and Frameworks: - developed 24 tools / methodologies for community mobilisation, watershed development, climate change adaptation, vulnerability and risk assessment, accountability-enhancement and empowerment of women and Gram Panchayats. Some of these tools are supported by customized software packages.
- IT-enabled tools for project formulation, project management, decision support and monitoring have been developed