Article written by Eshwer Kale published in the Economic and Political Weekly (EPW) (Vol. 52, Issue No. 3 dated 21 Jan, 2017)
WOTR commenced its work in the Indian state of Odisha in 2012. In Odisha, WOTR has been working in Odisha Tribal Empowerment and Livelihoods Programme (OTELP Plus), across the thematic areas of Watershed Management, Natural resource management (NRM), Livelihoods, Agriculture and Women Empowerment.
Watershed Organisation Trust has implemented through its 5 partner NGOs over 50 watershed development projects covering an area of 25,773 hectares, thus, impacting over 29,256 people in 118 villages. Its involvement in over 365 women run Self Help Groups (SHGs), micro-finance, trainings and other initiatives have benefitted over 4,020 women. 2,500 farmers have been benefitted through trainings, farmer field schools, agriculture demonstrations and locale-crop specific agro-advisories carried out under Adaptive Sustainable Agriculture intervention. Capacity Building, Project Implementation, Project Monitoring, Project Support and Project Facilitation are the different roles played by WOTR.
Major project undertaken in the region:
Odisha Tribal Empowerment and Livelihoods Programme (OTELP Plus)
· To build the capacity of marginal groups.
· To enhance the access of poor tribal people to natural resources and increase its productivity.
· To encourage and facilitate off-farm enterprises.
· To ensure the basic entitlements of tribal households.
Year wise Key Project Impacts:
1. Formation and registration of 118 Village Development Associations (VDA) under Societies Registration Act 1860 at village level
2. Organised, reorganized and strengthened 365 women SHGs covering 4020 women members
3. Preparation of 118 Integrated Natural Resource Management (INRM) based (Village Development and Livelihood Plan (VDLP)
1. Provided employment to 83 households for small business
2. Provided goat rearing unit to 255 house holds
3. Provided low cost housing material to 28 families
4. Constructed 250 individual house hold latrines and bathrooms
5. Constructed 3 diversion based irrigation projects which are providing irrigation to nearly 50 acres of land
6. Developed 208 ha wadi model mango and cashew orchard
7. Construction of 31 drying yards for various purposes
8. Construction of 9 village drain for habitation improvement and sanitation
9. Construction of 15 village waste disposal system for habitation improvement and sanitation
10. Provided 403 water lifting devices (1.5 HP Honda kerosene pump) to farmers
List of partners:
Integrated Tribal Development Agency (ITDA), Parlakhemundi, Gajapati
ST & SC Development Department, Govt of Odisha.
In Mohana Block: Suraksha and Social Action For Community Alternative Learning (SACAL)
In Nuagada Block: Jana Kalyan Pratisthan (JKP)
In Rayagada Block: Gram Vikas
In Gumma Block: Centre for Community Development (CCD)
Summary of coverage through Projects
No. of District covered
No. of villages Covered
No. of beneficiaries benefited